• April 5, 2020 at 7:05 am #2058
    PharanPharan
    Participant

When I press A then ESC, the whole drawing disappears.

Expectation:
    When I accidentally press A, or if I press A then change my mind, I press ESC to cancel. I expect to be brought back to the state before I pressed A. I expect this from other programs too.

What happens:
    Pressing ESC just deletes the drawing. It’s kind of disorienting. I have to take a second to wonder, then decide to CTRL+Z.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Pharan.
    April 5, 2020 at 8:45 am #2071
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Yeah, I know this behaviour is iffy. It is actually on purpose, – but it isn’t ment to be disorientating, so I have to rethink it. Thank you!

April 8, 2020 at 5:35 am #2289
    PharanPharan
    Participant

Thanks Niels!
    Another behavior related to this:

In Clone Drawings - Locked or Not > Freely draw on Clones - Original will update mode

If you’re on a clone frame, pressing A causes it to create a new drawing.
    Pressing ESC will clear the drawing (as mentioned above) so you have an empty drawing.
    Pressing CTRL+Z will bring the drawing back, but it’s still a separate drawing instead of a clone.
    Pressing CTRL+Z again will turn it back into a clone.

As a whole, kind of weird/can’t get used to it even after it happens several times.

I do appreciate being able to press * and have a new clean drawing despite being in this mode. So I don’t know how this scheme is related to that behavior.

April 8, 2020 at 12:51 pm #2299
    Keymaster

So, given that the “iffy” behaviour of A clears the drawing is correct, then the above list of points (actions and undo’s) is correct I would say.

In respect to your points, please note, that A causes it to create a new blank drawing. Pressing Esc will lose the floating selection (not clear the already empty drawing). Then Undo will bring the floating selection back (as you say). And Undo again will take it all back to where the drawing was a held clone.

But all my explaining doesn’t matter 🙂 The point is that you are right there’s something not right about A clearing the drawing. What I want is for both things to be able to happen (either not-clear or clear). I’ll think of a way. Aaaaanyway! 🙂

April 24, 2020 at 11:24 am #2585
    Dominic RaynerDominic Rayner
    Participant

What about putting a third eraser icon which serves as a clear canvas function backed up with short key?

April 24, 2020 at 11:44 am #2587
    Participant

I also noticed something else in relation to the above, (in Alpha1)-
    If you press A or Pick up/All in menu, you may find the controllers are off screen which means you should use the zoom function to get the whole floating selection (bounding box + controllers) into screen view for editing. The bounding box remains, but the controllers for rotate scale etc disappear. Logically, when re-selecting the pencil or hand tool after finished zooming, you expect to continue adjust the image, but in doing so the whole floating selection disappears. It’s as if it clears the screen and you have to press ctl/z to get it back and woring.

April 24, 2020 at 11:47 am #2588
    Participant

“What about putting a third eraser icon which serves as a clear canvas function backed up with short key?”
    Apologies, wrong place for this comment, I initially thought the thread was about clearing the canvas. But just to clarify my point, can the icon for clearing the canvas go next to the erasers?

April 24, 2020 at 12:22 pm #2592
    Keymaster

Thanks Dom – At some point soon we will implement a way for you to change shortcuts and placement of tool icons. Especially defining what goes into the Tool Bar and the Speed Dials are important to many (of course).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.