• July 15, 2020 at 9:40 pm #2996
    AP-userAP-user
    Participant

Hi, today I tried the approach to use a black layer for keys, a red layer for extremes and a green layer for in-betweens, while recalling Williams, R: “Animator’s Survival Kit”.

What was easy to do is to add one blank drawing to each layer one by one. However, I missed an option to add one blank drawing to all layers in one go, to advance all layers simultaneously. Did I overlook it? If not, I think it might be helpful at times.

As an alternative or as an other suggestion it might be helpful to be able to mark (and recognize somehow) extremes, additionally to keys in the same layer.

What do you think? Thanks, Michael

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AP-user.
    July 15, 2020 at 11:08 pm #3000
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

I am not sure if you are already aware of this, but maybe linking the three layers together will do exactly what you are after? When you change anything timingwise in one of the linked layers, like adding a drawing, the same will happen in the other linked layers. Just hit the link icon at the top of the layer column for each layer you want to have linked.

When you specifically add a blank, then AP will add a clone in each of the linked layers. Is that the behaviour you where looking for or did you need it to add blanks and not clones?

About your second point: Did you know about the “key” function? You kan mark any drawing as “key” just by hitting K. You can use that for a few different things, like only flipping between key frames, or only backlighting keys. Or where you thinking of something else/more?

Best,
    Niels

July 16, 2020 at 11:33 am #3001
    AP-userAP-user
    Participant

Hi Niels, thanks for your quick reply 🙂

Looks like I missed the link-funtionality. I think it works fine the way as it is. May be if one can opt for inserting clones or blank drawings it might be helpful in some situations.

Yes, I know the “key” function. When working with 3 layers as I tried, of course I can also indicate (extreme) “keys” in the (red) extreme layer … but then I can’t step through all key-drawings (keys and extremes) in one go (shift + down), unless I overlook it again.

However, within the same layer at the moment there can only be “keys”, no “extremes”. From the book mentioned above I see the value of having and being able to visually distinguish key-images quite “far” apart, inserting (red) extreme-positions (like ups or downs), and interpolating further with in-betweens (green).

So, such a workflow is possible. If you or others find it useful it may be an idea to make it a bit more smooth to operate. Anyway, as a novice to animation I like what you created so far.

Best, Michael

July 18, 2020 at 9:15 am #3005
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

I guess, with your method, you should keep all your marked keys in the same layer, to be able to jump between them all. If your layers are linked anyway, it will not make a difference – only enable you to skip along all of your keys/extremes.

Sorry if I am missing your point.

Best,
    Niels

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.