April 6, 2020 at 5:59 pm #2202
Jareth SteeleJareth Steele
Participant

Back again! Just finished a fairly hefty animation, posted it here but I’m not sure if it actually posted…
Here is what I’m referring to for reference though: https://imgur.com/J37U698
Now that I’ve gotten use out of a lot of layers, here’s what I’ve noticed.
I can’t rearrange animation layers? I’d finished my initial sketch and wanted to move the background to the front, and I couldn’t do it, even with my keyboard. I tried renaming it to see if that was how it worked but it didn’t seem to do anything. Bit troublesome!
I’m glad I could convince you to try folders for the layers, because I really didn’t want to delete my sketch, which was 5 layers, one for each leg and the body. If we had folders, (also, a way to merge layers?) I could have tucked them away out of sight 🙂
Another thing I can’t move is the animation/animation layer itself. I didn’t draw it in the centre of the canvas and wanted to move the whole drawing and all its layers to the centre, which… Appeared impossible, unless I moved each frame… Using the cutting tools D:
Is there any way to only have the onion skin of the layer you’re currently on show up? It was a bit troublesome doing inbetweens where i wanted the onion skin on, as well as seeing my sketch layers. I had to disable the sketch layers since their onions were also showing up and confusing me as to which one wasn’t an onion. Not sure if that makes sense but basically it would be nice to pick which layers are onioning and which ones aren’t.
The way layers appear on top of one another seems strange, not sure how it works, but it seems whichever one you click on is the one on top. It didn’t come up but I’d imagine something with lots of components on different levels would be a nightmare to get to layer on top of one another correctly without lots of clicking.
I know the programs a WIP but it’s a bit awkward to show off what you’ve made without exporting it as a single file. I’m sure there’s stuff online to turn individual frames into a gif but that seems tricky, so I just recorded my screen, which was lagging.