• May 23, 2022 at 6:45 am #4749
    Scribbling TurtleScribbling Turtle
    Participant

Hi,
    first of all thank you. This App is, even in its unfinished state, already a lot better for traditional animation then most other Apps I’ve used so far.

Second. I have found a Bug, when it comes to using AnimationPaper in combination with the ArtistPad of TabletPro.

Invoking the SpeedDial via a Button in the ArtistPad makes it so, that the SpeedDial does not react to the Pen.

You can see the demonstration here.

As behavior I would expect it to react the same way as if you had pressed the Keyboard Key.
    (All other Keys on the ArtistPad invoke the correct reaction.)

May 23, 2022 at 6:50 am #4750
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for doing this video – very helpful! We’ll look into it.

Best,
    Niels

May 23, 2022 at 7:04 am #4751
    Keymaster

By the way – you can get to the primary Speed Dial by using the right mouse button. Does your pen-setup have such an equivalent? It could be interesting to know if you can make the Speed Dial work with a “right click” instead of using the S key. It probably doesn’t make a difference, but if it did, we would have some valuable information on finding the problem.

Please let me know. Thanks!

May 23, 2022 at 8:44 am #4752
    Participant

Thanks,

yes i know. It also works, when I do the tap and hold thing with my finger.

For the Pen it sadly does not work for me.
    The Surface has one of these pens where you have to hold a button and then tap the screen.
    So its not a righ button hold, but only a click uppon contact.

One quick solution to the whole problem could be to keep the SpeedDial open when you just tap the s key or do a right click. (Similar to how it works, when you open it via the Menu)

May 23, 2022 at 7:25 pm #4753
    Keymaster

OK I see.

Yeah, that could be one solution.

You probably already tried this, but just to make sure: Did you try to just click one of the icons after you opened the SpeedDial with S?

May 24, 2022 at 4:17 am #4754
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, but I can’t click anything, the little green line won’t even move.

I’ve looked a bit more into it.
    Looks like the ArtistPad is blocking the mouse movement specifically, (see video)

May 24, 2022 at 7:10 am #4755
    Keymaster

Thanks very much! Very helpful. We’ll see if we can do something to make it work on the ArtistPad afterall…

I’ll be in contact when we have something for you to test. It might be a while though, because we need to focus on our current feature implementation right now.

Thanks,
    Niels

May 24, 2022 at 2:29 pm #4756
    Participant

No problem.
    If you need more info, just let me know.

I have just one more question.
    Is there something like a “Pen-Only” or “Disable Touch drawing” mode for the canvas.

I also use an App, that converts touchscreen gestures into Keyboard shortcuts (Its called “GestureSign” in the Microsoft Store).
    But right now i can’t use it because drawing a gesture with my fingers also draws on the canvas.
    (Gestures like 2 finger tap to Undo or 3 finger swipe up/down to flip between drawings, etc.)

Either way I’m looking forward to future versions.
    Thank you too.

May 24, 2022 at 5:28 pm #4757
    Keymaster

I am most familiar with Wacom tablets. They have a touch/gesture feature on/off switch build in.

But maybe we need to do a switch. We haven’t come to gestures yet. It’s on our todo list.

I was thinking, maybe you would benefit from having AP running with Windows Ink? You could try it and see if it changes anything for the better. Do this:

Find the file “qt.conf” (probably here C:\Program Files\Animation Paper\qt.conf). Rename it to whatever – to save it, if you need to restore. Then launch Animation Paper again. That forces AP to use Ink.

Let me know if that helped with anything.

May 24, 2022 at 7:19 pm #4758
    Participant

Interesting, I’ve been using the portable version the whole time and that does not seem to have a qt.conf.
    Now I installed the program and the installation has one.

There is no difference though. Except, that the version with the qt.conf has no pressure sensitivity. (Which AFAK. is standard behavior for Apps on the Surface, that don’t use Windows Ink.)

I found something else in regards to the SpeedDial.
    You can make it work with the Pens button by activating the “use the Pen as a mouse in some Apps” option in the Windows device settings.  (Sorry i don’t know the propper English translation). From my experience that is also thing, that happens to other QT based apps,

May 24, 2022 at 10:51 pm #4759
    Keymaster

Thanks for all this interesting information, Scribbling Turtle!

Do I understand correctly, that you did have pressure sensitivity when using the portable version, but didn’t with the normally installed version? (until you did the qt.conf trick)

When you activate the “use the Pen as a mouse in some Apps” option, doesn’t that affect the quality of your pen strokes? I mean, do you lose pressure or input resolution? Or does it have any other negative effect for you? From what I can see in your video things look normal – but hard for me to tell really.

May 25, 2022 at 5:18 am #4760
    Participant

Yes, exactly, I think it’s because the portable version has no qt.conf file shipped with it.

As for the Option.
    The only thing, that noticably changed is the Buttons behavior. I did not notice any other changes.
    As I said, other QT based apps excipbit this behavior too.

May 25, 2022 at 8:05 am #4761
    Keymaster

Alright, thanks for clarifying. Appreciated!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.