• April 5, 2020 at 8:10 am #2064
    PharanPharan
    Participant

I like the Add Clones mode and Slide mode. But it’s always not immediately clear which mode I’m in.

It would be nice if the cursor would symbolically show (when I hover) what action I would do when I start clicking and dragging.

Something like:

A visible button toggle somewhere showing what mode I’m in would be nice too, both to show what mode I’m in, and to make the functionality visible to new users (and introduce them to the hotkey).

I realize that these two modes don’t necessarily need to be a toggle/there doesn’t need to be two modes.

TVPaint has those tiny handles which makes it unambiguous if you were trying to prolong an exposure or move a cel around.

The problem was that those TVPaint handles were in fact tiny, so I’m actually grateful for this design that these modes just allow you to click anywhere on the thumbnails. It feels good when it does what you’re trying to do.

The cost, in its current state, is just that I don’t confidently know what state it’s currently in so I’m not sure what my click will do unless I spend a second to think, or try to remember what the key to switch between modes was, or click around and see what it does. Sometimes I try to slide a drawing when I actually previously left it in add clones mode. And sometimes I try to shorten the length of the animation, and I was actually previously in slide mode.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Pharan.
    April 5, 2020 at 8:30 am #2066
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for this analysis. I follow you completely. It could (and should) be more obvious what mode you are in.

Your suggestion with the cursor changing to display the mode is in a way actually already in. It’s just so subtle, so you might have missed it: When in Add Clones mode the cursor is light brown like the clones. When in Slide Mode the cursor is white like the originals. 🙂

April 5, 2020 at 9:49 am #2083
    PharanPharan
    Participant

Yeah, I did notice the cursor changes color. That’s why I suggested an actual cursor shape change. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Pharan.
    April 5, 2020 at 10:14 am #2086
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

OK, cool. I agree the color isn’t enough. On the list!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.