• August 1, 2021 at 2:17 pm #3807
    morfy morfymorfy morfy
    Participant

Hey,

I assume you are making the color feature in a traditional way, where you have a simple color layer on which you can paint. Which is good and I’m excited about i getting finished.

But I had a suggestion of doing colors in a second way as well, like in the software “OpenToonz”. There you can create a sort of color class, with which you then can draw/paint. For example you create the color class “hair” and set it to black. Then you paint with that, and if you later decide that you want the hair to be brown, you just have to change the color of “hair” in the menu and it automatically changes the color in the scenes.

Explaining this might be a bit confusing, so I recommend checking out OpenToonz and how they do this.

Also, this is probably a big feature to just add to the alpha todo list, so I understand that it won’t be a thing any time soon. But I would like it if it would get added at some point in the distant future.

Thanks, Alpha 4 is nice, the video export works perfect!

August 1, 2021 at 2:41 pm #3808
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Morfy, thanks a lot 🙂

Actually I can let you know, that it is exactly how we are making it already. 😉 I call the defined colors for “buckets”. 😉 This way you can adjust any (or all) bucket colors after you have painted some (or everything) – and see the colors update in all frames realtime.

Cheers,
    Niels

August 1, 2021 at 3:24 pm #3809
    morfy morfymorfy morfy
    Participant

Great to hear!

I already used OpenToonz and – even though at first it was confusing – I quickly fell in love with it. ESPECIALLY for animation this is a must-have feature, cause you don’t wanna repaint 100 frames just to change a color, glad that’s the direction you’re going.

August 1, 2021 at 4:39 pm #3810
    Keymaster

Cool. I’m glad you appreciate it 😉 Thanks.

November 26, 2021 at 10:03 pm #4116
    Hans Jacob WagnerHans Jacob Wagner
    Participant

Besides the colour pallettes OT has some very nice tools when it comes to painting. I particularly find the rectangular selective fill extremely useful. Let’s say that you have painted the wolf’s face and the inner mouth and tongue, and now have to paint all the small sharp teeth. You just pick the colour a draw a rectangle around the mouth – and you’re done. And if you do it in multi mode you can do this on several cells at a time. It’s also very useful for eliminating/finding unpainted pixels, that will bloom up background colours in the render. Paint your cell with a screaming colour using this square tool after painting the cell, will make these show up.

Many animators use other packages for animating but do their final painting in OT and for good reason. I suggest that you use good time studying these! Feel free to reach out if you like!

NB: Ghibli uses this program in a particular manner. All drawing are scanned and stored in 5K resolution lineart B/W and interpolated in the render. So no grey scale but a very high resolution. It makes the painting part easier I guess, but it’s not the common workflow among users. Or any other program that I know of.

Congratulations with the 5.0 alpha will definitely give a go asap.

November 27, 2021 at 9:43 am #4117
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info Hans! I am (sort of) aware of these things already, but always good to get some more insight and detail.

We will be making our fill tool similar in functionality. It has to be efficient. Good point about the bloom-up trick. Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.