• August 24, 2021 at 9:05 pm #3891
    labo UQATlabo UQAT
    Participant

Hi,

Is there any way to activate the key at the machine level? Even better if it can be done from the command-line.

Teachers at the university asked to have Animation Paper installed in classrooms (100+ computers) to use in their courses.

However, since the key is activated at the user level in the registry, it means we have to manually log into each computer, activate the software (Since the registry key seems to be unique to each computer, even by always using the same key), and then copy the information on every existing profile, including the default profile.

Although it’s doable, it is a real slow and painful process. Being able to automate that would be a huge gain in productivity.

Thanks

August 24, 2021 at 9:19 pm #3892
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi there!

Thanks for bringing up this important topic. At the moment, unfortunately we do not have any automatic method for setting up 100+ licenses. This is on our todo-list though.

Also important to know: If you use the same activation key for multiple installs, Animation Paper will think it has been moved each time the latest install is run. Therefore the previous installs will ask you for a key again next time they are run. You can keep pasting in the same key, but definitely not an ideal situation. (Normally you only submit the activation key once).

Let me see if I can come up with some kind of helpful solution to your current challenge. I’ll get back to you asap.

Thanks,
    Niels

August 25, 2021 at 2:11 pm #3894
    Frederik ChristianiFrederik
    Keymaster

Hi,

It is correct that the license is currently stored at the user level only.
    But perhaps we can still find a temporary fix depending on your use case.

Do the students use local or roaming profiles on the machines?
    Does a student use the same machine for every class?

Kind regards,
    Frederik

August 25, 2021 at 8:25 pm #3895
    labo UQATlabo UQAT
    Participant

Hi Niels and Frederik,

We installed Animation Paper for the first time last year, and it was a colleague that left since then that did the installation and he didn’t leave much notes about the licence for Animation Paper.

Of course, he encountered that issue and by searching for a bit, we found in some emails sent to the teacher and the tech of that department that what they decided to do was have the teacher and each student generate their own activation key and simply activate the software in their profile as needed. As the activation is fairly simple to do, it’s not to much of a hassle to have them do.

Although that works, we usually try to simplify software usage in classrooms because not all students are “techsavvy”, even though it’s part of their field of study. So maybe if there could be something for that in the future, that would be awesome.

As for the specific questions, it is currently local profiles, as this saves space for network storage, by only having specific folders redirected on fileservers, and also because sometimes they need to log on multiple machines (Mainly for rendering).

Local Profiles are deleted upon the computer boot up, in order to recover disk space and not end up with full disks.

Students may change computers a few times during a single day, depending on classes schedules. From week to week, they might not even use the same computer in the same class.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by labo UQAT.
    August 29, 2021 at 1:09 pm #3900
    Arpan PandaArpan Panda
    Participant

Hi devs, I would like to know if there is a Ubuntu version available to download? In your home page it’s mentioned being available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

However in the download page, I don’t see the link for linux OS

Kindly let me know as I am interested in this software. Thank You

August 29, 2021 at 7:46 pm #3902
    Keymaster

Hi Arpan,

Yes, Animation Paper WILL be available for Linux. But right now, while we are at alpha 4, we are only focusing on PC and Mac. At some point during the late alpha stage or at least beta stage, we will release the Linux version as well. So stay tuned!

Best,
    Niels

August 31, 2021 at 9:46 am #3903
    Keymaster

Hi again Labo Uqat,

I owe you a reply. Thanks for answering Frederiks questions. We have thought of all sorts of solutions to this problem. None of them are particular simple – at least if they are supposed to give you a real benefit.

So I just wanted to let you know, that we are fully aware of the problems you experience. We need to make this part much easier and smoother, for you, and for many of other schools and studios that will have similar issues. We will come up with a good solution. It is on our todo list.

Only thing is that right now we have to keep on track focusing on our current tasks. I am sorry it is a bit of a hassle for you and the students to make all these installs work, but I hope you’ll manage for now. Before we release the final version of AP we will have a user-friendly system ready for you.

Thanks for your patience,
    Niels

August 31, 2021 at 2:10 pm #3904
    labo UQATlabo UQAT
    Participant

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the update. For now, teachers will simply continue to ask students to generate their own license and have them use it to activate the software in their profile. Not a show stopper.

Thanks

August 31, 2021 at 4:52 pm #3905
    Keymaster

Sounds good. Thanks a lot!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.