• April 20, 2022 at 9:40 pm #4656
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

When using cutter, if you press escape it seems to just delete everything rather than deselecting the object. I think it’s because the lasso behavior requires this so it doesn’t leave a duplicate but since it’s the cutter tool there isn’t anything left behind. Undo button fixes this issue but it’s still not an ideal behavior to have.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Sam W.
    April 20, 2022 at 9:59 pm #4658
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Yes, hitting Escape is how you exit your floating selection without stamping it down. If you need it back at some point you can hit Shift Escape.

How the lasso/cutter/floating-selection stuff are working is of course done with intend. It is supposed to work in the most effective way. You might not agree, so I am super interested in how you would you like it. How would it work, if it was completely up to you?

Thanks a lot Sam!

Best,
    Niels

April 21, 2022 at 1:23 am #4659
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

Well, I don’t mind how lasso works, but cutter doesn’t make too much sense because ESC should just be escaping the tool and cancelling the action. Why should cancelling the cutter delete the drawing? There isn’t really a use case I can think of that you would really need to use the cutter to just delete. – Unless of course the delete key is the way to delete a selection. Which would make more sense than ESC.

Also I tried using shift escape but that doesn’t appear to do anything for me.

If you use lasso tools or selection tools in every other application ESC just simply cancels the selection and I think it would make sense for cutter to behave this way too.

So in cutters case I think it makes sense if ESC cancels the selection/move and the delete key deletes the selection.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Sam W.
    April 21, 2022 at 7:21 am #4666
    Keymaster

Much appreciated Sam! Thank you.

You got a point. I will have to think about this some more. One concern I have is that to me it would be strange to have the esc functionality being different after picking up with lasso or cutter. I would think you would get used to how it works (one way or the other) but you would have to be conscious about how you picked the floating selection up before using esc.

April 21, 2022 at 10:33 am #4667
    Keymaster

Came to think about it – and actually it wouldn’t have to be different. You could just see Esc a “cancel” – back to how it was. That would be the same for both cutter and lasso.

One reason as to why we have made it as it is now, might be because of the legacy of the old PAP. People loved how they could quickly cut a larger area out and just get rid of it. I.E. a way to erase something quickly without using the slower eraser tool. I know you could do that with your suggestion just hitting delete. But it was escape in PAP… Hmmm…

The way it works in AP now, is meant to be like Photoshop and so many other similar paint programs, but with one or two fewer steps in the process. When you draw a lasso in PS, you would then use Ctrl C or Ctrl X to copy or cut your lassoed area. Then you would paste to have access to move it around. If you then press Esc you would lose your selection, but if you used cut, it would still have that cut (blank) area. I don’t have PS in front of me right now, so I’m not entirely sure 😉 Am I mistaking?

Anyway, thanks for giving me stuff to think about! 😉

April 21, 2022 at 7:04 pm #4668
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

I think the other thing you may want to consider is merging cutter and lasso into one tool. They’re both pretty similar. The default could be cutting and holding cntrl or alt to duplicate instead would probably work just as well. Up to you, I don’t mind the current system but at the same time if you put in more tools than you may want to consider it. Right now animation paper doesn’t have a lot of tools but maybe once you introduce a paint system you’ll see it get a bit more cluttered.

April 22, 2022 at 6:56 am #4670
    Keymaster

Sure. That’s a risk – but I’m working very hard to avoid that. 😉

April 22, 2022 at 9:11 pm #4673
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

Mmm okay but I still find that it does make sense to merge the two tools together. There isn’t anything drastically different that can’t be done with an alt button. Still, doesn’t matter too much to me but it’s just an observation that they are very similar.

One last thing I noticed (sorry I know this is in the bug forum but I may as well bring it up here rather than make a new thread) is that the selection handles for the bounding box tend to get in the way of small selections.

Maybe they should average out or go on the outside of the bounding box more? It gets crowded fairly easily currently.

April 22, 2022 at 9:20 pm #4676
    Keymaster

You are right. It can get quite tricky to hit the right area with a small selection. This is on our list already.

April 22, 2022 at 10:40 pm #4677
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

Cool! You should make a public Todo list somewhere, it’s probably tiring if people bring up the same things over and over again lol

April 22, 2022 at 11:37 pm #4679
    Keymaster

Yeah, thought about it, but things change and get reprioritised internally all the time, so that would maybe be more confusing and frustrating for people. And I don’t mind at all if things come up several times from people like you – then I know it is probably important if multiple people feel the same.

April 23, 2022 at 1:10 am #4681
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

This is true and thank you for being so responsive! I really enjoy using AP a lot btw, it’s my main sketching app now. Still need to try animating in it but I’m having fun so far. Very stable despite being Alpha.

April 23, 2022 at 7:38 am #4682
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot, Sam. Yeah, you should try animating it it! 😉 Best wishes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.