• May 4, 2020 at 4:18 am #2755
    Rachel CreemersRachel Creemers
    Participant

Hey there! I’ve absolutely loved using your program, and it’s really helped me dive back into animating through quarantine. I have a couple questions though concerning walls I keep butting up against and was curious if you had any answers.

The animation I’m currently making is about 170 frames long with 1920×1080 framing, animating on 2’s (about a 15 second long animation with a lot of holds) and it’s so far got about 10 layers built up, 5 for sketch, 5 for final to deal with overlapping. This is making the program CHUG. Not only on opening and scrubbing through, but saving takes a solid 3 minutes and the file is up to 2.5 GB.

I’ve used the lasso a few times but had to stop as I was worried I would crash everything, not copying and pasting anything, but just to move an asset around. Because of this the lasso doesn’t really feel like a usable feature. So my questions are this:

1) Are you guys working on the lasso tool to have it be less taxing on the program and workflow?

2) Are you looking in the future to compress the file sizes, as well as create some a sort of pre-render during scrubbing so that if the programs is having trouble playing it at speed it can playback my file without me having to render out the frames? Or better yet what avenues are you looking to to deal with frame skipping during playback?

3) And last question/quirk. While animating in this file for a bit, the playback speed slows down, but as soon as I save and reopen the whole program, the entire animation plays back at speed with no skipping. Do you know why this is happening?

Thank you again for your time and for making this product!

Rachel

May 4, 2020 at 8:21 am #2758
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for this. Would you mind sending me your file, so we can examine it? This will help us analyse and hopefully fix the problems.

But just to quickly touch on your questions:

1) Yes, making the lasso less taxing on the program is important. We will look into this.

2) We already have a system in place doing that. But it needs more optimisation.

3) I do not understand why this happens, no. This is the main reason we want to have a look at your file, to give us a clue.

Please send your .ap file to my email adress. Just reply to the email you got from me with your activation key.

Thanks a lot!
    Niels

May 4, 2020 at 3:54 pm #2760
    Participant

Thank you that would be incredibly helpful!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-wWIQuwEOpnJ2coJUSgjtpJ1vcI4o3Sy

-Rachel

May 4, 2020 at 7:28 pm #2763
    Keymaster

Thank you very much Rachel! I have the file downloaded now (if you want to delete it).

May 19, 2020 at 3:19 am #2867
    Participant

Did you ever happen to figure out why the file got so big?

-Rachel

May 19, 2020 at 5:02 pm #2872
    Keymaster

Hi Rachel! Yes I did. Sorry if you didn’t get my email about it.

There was one layer that did it all. The issue kept being copied over from one drawing to the next, ending up making the memory usage of that particular layer go crazy.

No matter what we do, your file will keep having this issue, until you do a new layer and do clean up (tracing) of the problematic layer. Then you can delete the bad layer and your file (when you save it) will be back down to normal size. 🙂

Because of your situation we have identified a few things we had to fix (this is now done and will be available in the next release, alpha3) and some things will still have to be worked on for further optimisation.

Thanks a lot for your help!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.