• April 4, 2020 at 3:21 am #1871
    Rodney BakerRodney Baker
    Participant

Thanks for the clear and concise intro videos.
    Those helped immensely.
    I expect to have to watch them a few more times for suggestions of shortcut keys and workflow to sink in.

Not too simple. Not too complex. Just the right thing for getting new users up to speed.

April 4, 2020 at 9:58 pm #2019
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Perfect Rodney! Thanks for that!

April 13, 2020 at 4:51 pm #2429
    Sandra MartinSandra Martin
    Participant

Thanks for the intro videos. Is it possible to provide the keyboard shortcuts in a PDF sheet? Thank you 🙂

April 13, 2020 at 10:38 pm #2445
    Keymaster

Hi Sandra,

The shortcuts are right here: https://animationpaper.com/animation-paper-keyboard-shortcuts-for-pc/

I just quickly converted them to pdf, so you can download it here: https://animationpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/AnimationPaper-ShortcutsPC.pdf

The above is for PC. Let me know if you need the Mac version. But basically you just replace Ctrl with Cmd on Mac and the rest is the same.

April 14, 2020 at 11:55 am #2453
    Sandra MartinSandra Martin
    Participant

Thanks, the link helped a lot, I found the shortcuts for Mac 🙂

April 14, 2020 at 12:25 pm #2456
    Keymaster

OK, normally the easiest way to get to the shortcuts list is from the Help menu inside Animation Paper.

April 24, 2020 at 4:18 pm #2602
    paul fierlingerpaul fierlinger
    Participant

No horizontal layers? Only a vertical cue sheet? It appears to be so which makes it pretty much useless for me. I don’t feel I’m working on a film but in a sketch pad. All popular NLEs have horizontal layouts. I also miss more cursor designs; just two of the kind I least like is another turn off for me. I’m sure this will become a popular choice for many budding animators and there are a lot of nice things to say about the way tools are dealt with (pencils, tilt, things like that). I can see how much work you have put into this and wish you all the best which I feel will come to you deservedly.

April 24, 2020 at 9:44 pm #2608
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Thanks for you nice words after all 🙂 I’m sorry if Animation Paper is useless to you. I guess I can’t make everybody happy 🙂

Yes, in my design of the software I am sticking to how the traditional exposure-sheet was layed out – having layers as columns next to each other. Animation Paper is in that sense very old school.

However, we might do an option to switch this around. But that will be in a future update.

April 24, 2020 at 9:47 pm #2609
    Keymaster

Oh, about the cursor designs! Could you elaborate a little on which types you like? Maybe we can improve something here.

Cheers,
    Niels

April 24, 2020 at 10:09 pm #2615
    Participant

Hi Niel,
    I like the tiny pencil looking type of cursors, even just a short slanted line as long as they encompass two views; visible against a dark background and light background, but then it requires actually another pair: left handed and right handed.
    A question, since I have your attention: I never took the trouble to check out the availability of using the Wacom pen’s rocker switch which most people like to use for erase and draw, but there are several other very useful variations to make use of this important utensil. Does Paper Animation have anything like that?

And what about the distribution of panels across multiple screens? Two monitors is very common these days and I even have 4 monitors (for TVPaint), or is this something you prefer not to get into? I understand that you are targeting a different type of user than TVP, which I agree needs your software more than something like TVP. But even the simplified animation program in my view needs to interact with any NLE out there whether animators know this yet or don’t — eventually everyone needs a good companion video editor.

April 25, 2020 at 9:45 am #2627
    Keymaster

Thanks Paul.

So a short slanted line is what you are looking for? Noted. Thanks.

Assigning tools to the Wacom pen switches are a matter of setting it up in your Wacom settings right? So just assign the shortcuts D for Draw and E for Erase. Or did I misunderstand?

4 monitors? Impressive! 🙂

Others have mentioned this need too. At least the X-sheet should be able to tare off as a separate window. Then it can be placed on a second monitor. Already my plan was to have a full view of your current frame, kind of as a reference, on a 2nd monitor. That is to come soon.

April 25, 2020 at 11:02 am #2629
    Participant

Wow! So you are thinking bigger than I had imagined. The fourth monitor is exactly as you say, a remote full project view. Are you thinking in terms of projects and clips? A project can be just one piece of animation or made of several scenes that make a project. There’s lots of features to come up with but that begins to make the software very complex and my impression was that you want to avoid that. I think you are right on to make a software for beginning animators. BTW I like your layout style which promises to keep things simple. If you want to we can Skype and talk about this. My website is slocumfilm.com and my wife, Sandra and I have lots of stuff on Vimeo.

April 25, 2020 at 6:05 pm #2639
    Keymaster

I had this feature planned so you could have several scenes/clips open at the same time – to be able to check continuity and such. This feature is still on our todo list but according to our plan will have to wait for a future version (so much to do!) 🙂

Yes, the challenge is to make it highly functional and efficient for the pro animator/studio, but at the same time keep it so simple and easy to understand that the beginner can use it too.

Would be great to chat, but I am super busy at the moment. No time, sorry 🙂

April 20, 2021 at 4:51 pm #3568
    SmackarooniesSmackaroonies
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to this website and am having a few issues that I need some help with. As I said, I’m new and the issue is… I don’t know where to animate. Where on the website is the place to draw? Thank you for your time.

April 20, 2021 at 11:01 pm #3570
    Keymaster

Animation Paper is software you run on your desktop computer (your PC or Mac). It does not run i your browser. I have noticed several people think that is the case – and I don’t understand why. How did you discover Animation Paper? Did you follow a link that said it worked from the browser or something? I am just curious as to why you think this – I might need to make some things more transparent or explain it better.

Anyway, to help you out!

You need to sign up as an alpha tester here: https://animationpaper.com/#HowMuch

Then you will receive a download link via email. After download you install it and register to get your activation key (free license) – and you are up and running!

Let me know if you have any issues or need further help.

And please explain to me why you were of the impression that you could draw in your browser somewhere on this website. I need to understand to make everything better and more user-friendly. Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

Best,
    Niels

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.