• March 3, 2021 at 3:36 pm #3522
    Questions HereShebun
    Participant

Hi, i am here once again, looking for solutions. My problem with the choppy audio has cleared and luckily hasn’t reared its head again.

In its place, however, a super-lag has occurred, resulting in a couple of lost frames when i had clearly saved them, saving progress taking quite a huge chunk of time, and yesterday i experienced such a bad crash that the whole PC screen was frozen-functions, cursor and even time didn’t move anywhere for a solid 10 minutes until i decided to forcibly restart my PC. I have made sure many times that i do have the latest version of everything that i’m working on, and i did get some warnings of not using lasso tools too much so i have kept away from them unless i really needed to (eg flipping a few layers just to check if the drawings were leaning too much onto either side, nothing else really.)

It was laggy the day before yesterday, i figured that since it’s a program under development that much is to be expected, and users have been warned of that. Yesterday it was quite bad as i wrote above, and today it will lag even before my project fully loads in. I am working on a single layer with only one frame per second, my audio spans little under 280 frames, half of them still being empty and another chunk of them being duplicate copies. When i created that amount of frames it was all good, worked smooth until just recently too. As it currently stands, the file is 628 megabites. I have not the slightest clue what quantity of frames/file size is enough to cause considerable lag though,

I don’t know if it has any significance to the issue, but i thought that i’d just say that i’m working with a Windows 10 laptop.

March 3, 2021 at 3:49 pm #3523
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Thanks for this.

I am not sure what is causing this lagging and crash. 280 frames and only one layer shouldn’t be a problem at all. That your file is 628 mb (quite large actually), tells me something is going on. So for some reason data is piling up. It could be because of lasso use, even though it doesn’t sound like you used it that much.

How much free memory do you have? I mean, if your computer is running low, then it could begin to swap, which could maybe explain the lagging.

I’m just guessing here. You are welcome to (once again) send me your ap-file, so we can examine it. And please get back to me with more specs on you computer, especially how much memory (RAM) you have.

Thanks a lot,
    Niels

March 3, 2021 at 4:39 pm #3524
    Questions HereShebun
    Participant

I tried opening the program again and being extremely patient, after a few tries that it decided to close on me, i finally got it to load in. I looked at the box in which my computer came in, and according to the box it has 4G of RAM. I shuffled around in the settings and it said that ”kasutatav ruum 3.82gb” which could be interpreted differently in my language, so i am a bit confused if it means space that is avaliable to use, or already in use. According to a translation dictionary ( https://aare.pri.ee/dictionary.html?query=kasutatav&lang=ee&meth=exact&switch=et&otsi=otsi ) it means space that is avaliable to use. For some reason i haven’t been able to find where i could see what exactly is taking up my RAM space, and where stuff is saved into. As i was looking through any memory settings i could find, a tab in one of the settings told me that my drive has 197gb of free space. Somehow it sounds like it isn’t an issue with the lack of saving space.

I guess that i will try and retrace all my drawings, then get rid of the ones that become duplicate, maybe that will help reduce the file size and any cloggy frames that might’ve suffered some form of lasso/select all overuse.

I am still pleasantly surprised at how fast i get feedback!

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Shebun. Reason: Fixing a couple of typing errors, for some reason i can't stand them
    March 3, 2021 at 5:06 pm #3526
    Keymaster

Thanks, I always try to reply as fast as possible. 🙂

And thanks for checking your RAM specs for me. Doesn’t sound like the problem either. 🙁

Tracing your drawings onto a new layer, and then removing the old layer, should hopefully reduce the file size considerably. Interesting to see if it changes anything with the lagging issue. Looking forward to learn about your results!

March 3, 2021 at 10:15 pm #3527
    Questions HereShebun
    Participant

After quite a long session of redrawing almost anything that i thought had fallen victim to the overuse of cutting tools, i have come to the conclusion that the lag has left only smidgeons and disappeared for the most part. I even had some time left to add about five new frames and copy ten that i could reuse, and the file size has gone down a bit- it is now 613mb.

i had saved my progress twice, hoping that all my progress would be saved. When i went to close the file, i got a notification with a yellow exclamation mark saying that the project had been modified and if i would like to save the changes. ”Why not,” i thought, and my PC proceeded to deep-freeze on me one more time. After another forcible restart, i was relieved to know that my progress HAD been saved. I opened up AP one more time to make sure everything was a okay but when i tried to close it, the same notif popped up, even though i hadn’t made any changes. I’ll just keep away from accepting when the notif asks me if i would like to save.

March 3, 2021 at 11:10 pm #3528
    Keymaster

Wow, AP is acting weird for you! Haven’t seen any of this my self and haven’t heard of others having these problems. But something’s wrong. I’m very happy and thankful you are discovering these things – I just have no idea how to find the underlying problems. 🙁

One thing could be fairly easy to investigate though, I hope! And that is your file loading and seen as being modified right away. Does that happen every time you load that file? Please save it (and only experiment with copies) – don’t ever overwrite it. We need it for examination.

Just let me know if it happens again when you load it again. Thanks for all your help!

Best,
    Niels

March 5, 2021 at 7:27 pm #3529
    Questions HereShebun
    Participant

I have completed redrawing all of the frames that have info on them, and my file size has gone down to only 130 mb. Since then, i have not recieved any of those lag-inducing notifications after saving and then closing, also the speed at which my progress saves/file loads in has also gone back to normal. I can use the A and X tools without running into any problems either.

I do wish that in some upcoming update, flipping the canvas could be done simpler and faster than selecting all and manually swapping the sides.

March 5, 2021 at 11:09 pm #3530
    Keymaster

Thanks, easy mirroring noted.

I am happy to hear that it actually helped tracing. At least you can go on with your project now. Also, this points to the lasso-issue being the problem afterall.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Niels.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.