• March 16, 2024 at 12:55 am #6506
    Beatriz MaarquesBeatriz Maarques
    Participant

Hey! Thanks for the amazing software. I’ve been having a blast animating on it… and have been for the past few years.

One thing has come to my attention. There are times when I do layouts that include camera movements (like a pan that covers two screens in width, or a pan that goes from up in the sky to the horizon, with like 5 or 6 screens worth of height, for example), but am then unable to translate them well into Animation Paper because of the resolution limits of the software.
    Lifting the resolution limits or, at least raising them a fair bit, would be greatly helpful!
    Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason for the dimensions to be limited to what they are? Is it for performance reasons?

Thanks for the attention!
    And once again, thanks for Animation Paper, it’s truly a wonder to use.

March 16, 2024 at 12:33 pm #6508
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot for mentioning this Beatiz. Noted! Earlier AP supported up to 8K, but at some point we decided to set lower limits because of compatibility issues on some older hardware. However, we are working on changing a few internal structures, to make super high resolutions possible. Of course how smoothly this will run is of course dependent on how fast a computer people have, how many layers, etc – but at least the option should be available.

For now, are you aware that when you export your animation (if you like to composite your scenes doing the camera panning etc) – you can export in higher resolution than the one you worked in? So if you worked in say, 2K resolution (with a low res version of your layout/background), you can easily export in 4K, 8K or even 16K, thus getting the frame sizes you need for the panning. As you may already be aware of, all your lines will be re-rendered when exporting, so everything will be crisp and high resolution (not blurred upscaled “garbage” as some might expect).

Anyway, thanks again! Your request is very relevant and something many people will need. We will do something about it!

Best,
    Niels

March 16, 2024 at 3:48 pm #6509
    Beatriz MaarquesBeatriz Maarques
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply!

My process is usually to do storyboard/animatic/layout in a different software, then bring it into AP to do the keys, as AP has a very naturalistic way to animate that I very much love, and then proceed to export the key animation out to a different software yet again for tiedown/inbetweening, to get brush qualities that AP doesn’t have. I usually work a lot with image sequences.

I noticed, after you mentioning this, that when exporting as a video (or gif), there is the option of changing the ‘Scale’ (from 25% up to 400%). Is this what you’re talking about? I hadn’t noticed it until now, but it does seem very convenient for these kinds of processes. Sadly, it doesn’t seem to be available for image sequence exports. I haven’t played around much with .oca either, so I don’t know much about that.

In that case, I’d add to my my request, would it be possible to consider adding that export option to image sequence exports as well? That would do wonders!

Again, thanks for the very quick reply!

March 16, 2024 at 5:39 pm #6510
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

I appreciate you share more about how you work and use various software throughout your workflow. That’s great! Thanks a lot.

Yes, the Scale setting when exporting movie clip is what I meant. Of course it makes sense to have the same option when exporting a sequence of frames and this is what we already plan to implement and (if all goes to plan) will be included in our next release.

Thanks!
    Niels

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.