• August 6, 2023 at 7:52 pm #5882
    Taiwan ColemanTaiwan Coleman
    Participant

I would like to see a mechanical pencil like tool. Because i use mechanical pencils irl. And i would like to see a tool that can give me 5.0 or 7.0 lead as well. Since i use 5.0 lead mechanical pencils. Any feedback would be appreciated thank u to anyone whom reads this.

August 7, 2023 at 2:23 am #5883
    Mike StumboMike Stumbo
    Participant

Hello Taiwan Coleman,

I believe you mean 0.5 and 0.7, because lead is measured universally by milliliters and the biggest lead I’ve seen professionally used is 2.0mm which I actually use professionally. Steadtler make great lead holders btw. Mechanical pencils are simply that, they’re lead holders. Animation Paper has a great system for traditional pencils, so you can set the size which is already set by millimeters and on your art tablet/display you should be able to turn tilt off. Turning tilt off will allow the pencil stroke to stay at a 45° point. This will allow the mechanical pencil effect you want. I hope this has helped you. Have fun animating.

Respectfully,

Mike Stumbo

Animation Generalist

August 7, 2023 at 6:35 am #5884
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Thanks for your question Taiwan Coleman – and thanks for explaining Mike!

August 9, 2023 at 3:06 am #5886
    Herb MontesHerb Montes
    Participant

Ah, a mechanical pencil user like myself. Though in art class I used wooden pencils when I graduated my first job I jumped into was working as a manual draftsman. I immediately used the 2mm lead holders and various leads (HB to 2H). Then I discovered mechanical pencils. In life drawing class while the other artists would fumble about sharpening their wooden drawing pencils with knives I would be working with my own 2mm lead holder. Poke the lead out of the holder and then stick it into the pointer. With a smug smile on my face I rotated my hand in a circle as the lead went whisk, whisk, whisk, so much fun.

For my personal use I liked the Pentel Sharp Kerry pencil in 0.5mm. For digital art it is interesting to note that the variety of brushes found in the My Paint menu include a mechanical pencil. It’s been incorporated into the Krita program along with several others.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.