• April 7, 2020 at 11:18 am #2251
    Ross JacksonRoss Jackson
    Participant

Running on Windows on MS Surface 5. I have a very simple 3 layer animation and when I lasso anything it works beautifully, but if I then Cut part of an image to move it elsewhere in the scene, it provides a pop up warning error, telling me my drawings are using lots of memory.
    I can’t make it happen every time but normally, the app is only using 80Mb, when cutting without getting the error, I go up to 120Mb. So not high but I see its a UWP app so suspends itself whenever I move away (to write this post) 🙂

I have also seen its a bit slow to close the lasso or cut selection, ie takes a second or two.

Otherwise I LOVE THIS APP! Thank you Niels

April 7, 2020 at 11:45 am #2254
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

The warning you are talking about comes up if picking up with lasso takes more than two seconds (it shouldn’t normally take that long). This only happens if you are stamping lassoed parts into the same drawing numerous times, thus making the data grow substantially for that particular drawing. Everything else will run just fine, it is just that one drawing that risks being slow – and only when doing lassoing even more.

The amount of layers doesn’t make any difference by the way. Only how many “patches” of lassoed parts a drawing consist of. You could always retrace on a new blank drawing if you have this problem.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Niels.
    April 7, 2020 at 12:04 pm #2257
    Ross JacksonRoss Jackson
    Participant

Interesting – I only lasso’d & stamped once (a single horizontal line), then cut once – both onto the same drawing (and yes, its normally nice and speedy). Gotcha re affecting that one drawing

thanks Niels

April 7, 2020 at 12:10 pm #2259
    Keymaster

Only once: But did that drawing originate from another drawing put together by many lasso-stamps? That could explain it.

April 7, 2020 at 2:10 pm #2264
    Ross JacksonRoss Jackson
    Participant

hmm, not sure it did but, will try to replicate.

If I stamp lots but then use A to move it all to a new frame, does that clear the memory?
    Looking for a way to clear the memory use but not have to re-draw/trace the frame

April 7, 2020 at 2:57 pm #2268
    Keymaster

No that doesn’t help. The problem is all the stamps coming from lasso. And those gets carried over. Only way to clear it is to redraw. Or don’t use that many lasso copies in the first place of course.

We are going to work on optimising this, but the theoretical problem will always be there if you stamp enough times.

April 7, 2020 at 3:08 pm #2269
    Ross JacksonRoss Jackson
    Participant

Ok. Feature request to dump that “history” if you move to a new frame 🙂

April 7, 2020 at 6:52 pm #2275
    Keymaster

Working on it 🙂

April 7, 2020 at 11:27 pm #2281

I think i had the same memory warning when only lassoed once, only thing i noticed was that it was in a clone that i made an original of.

April 8, 2020 at 12:35 pm #2298
    Keymaster

Thanks Nathan. This could potentially be a bug. But it depends on how the original from that clone was created. I mean, if the drawing you are lassoing from already was made up of a lot of stamped drawings, then that could explain it. On the other hand, if the original of the clone you lassoed from was just a simple drawing drawn on a new blank, then you found an important bug. Maybe you could try to recreate the situation, to make sure which one it is?

Remember, this warning is only coming up if a lassoed area is taking 2 seconds or more to pick up. Normally it would happen instantly, so 2 seconds is a lot – also for old slow computers I would say.

Sorry that this is becoming a technical talk. But now it is about the internal workings of Animation Paper (which is interesting as well – at least for me!). Of course people don’t need to think or worry about these things when using Animation Paper normally. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.