• May 20, 2020 at 8:01 pm #2879
    S.L. KjhsdgfS.L. Kjhsdgf
    Participant

Hello!

So, I was working on an animatic in PAP when I received the AP alpha, which I promptly installed. I’m very happy with the new release, but I’d like to be able to move my project back and forth between PAP and AP, to ensure I can continue working on the project. I’ve considered exporting frames to a common image format and simply importing into the desired client, but wondered if there was a more direct means to accomplish this.

Additionally, while working in AP, I noticed that the cut lasso tool was beginning chug. A pop-up notified me that a given drawing can only handle a few selections, and that I should retrace the entire drawing to improve performance. Is there a way to clear the stack of selections to improve speeds?

Finally, is there a way to ‘nudge’ selections? In many editors, one would use the arrow keys to translate 1 pixel, but in AP this is used to travel over frames in a project. It can be very difficult to stamp in the exact same place as another frame!

May 20, 2020 at 9:28 pm #2881
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi there,

At present, we do not have a .pap or .lap importer in Animation Paper. This will come at some point. However, it will not be much different than importing the layers one by one as sequences of png’s (after exporting the png’s from PAP). This is how you can do it now in alpha 2.

Internally, drawings are structurally completely different in AP compared to PAP. This gives us a lot of advantages, but it is also the reason why we can not just load old PAP files.

About the “stack of selections” – we do not have a way to bake or clear this. We might think of a way in a future release.

The floating selection is fundamentally different in AP compared to cutouts in PAP. In AP the floating selection sits in its place. So when you pick it up from one frame, you can just leave it there and stamp it in the exact same position in another frame.

If you need to move and place your selection very precisely after all, you can zoom in and move it with your pen or mouse easily on a very detailed level.

If you still feel the need for a nudging feature, please let me know. Then we’ll consider it.

Cheers,
    Niels

May 21, 2020 at 12:55 am #2883
    S.L. KjhsdgfS.L. Kjhsdgf
    Participant

Thanks for the response!

The reason I typically need to nudge a selection in AP is to carry an edit over multiple frames, for instance if I relocated a drawing on frame 10, frames 1-9 need to be moved over. The zoom-and-place option seems to work well for me, though! No nudging necessary, especially if a multi-frame lasso is in the works.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.