April 15, 2022 at 9:55 pm #4595
Hey Guys, I am new here. I tried Animation Paper a while back but it wasn’t working properly so I got rid of it, I did love the feel of it and was waiting for this so I am back. Now in the tutorials, your toolbar is on the right and the x sheet left? I scrubbed through the setting looking for preferences to change this so it would feel comfier for me so I could get into a bit more but unfortunately, you don’t have any preferences. The option is there but it is not accessible. Any idea when it will be available?April 15, 2022 at 10:16 pm #4596
We have planned to have a preferences window, but we might end up not needing it. We’ll see.
We do have options for various things of course, but so far they fit very well in the menues.
One of the first menu items in the X-Sheet menu is for swapping sides, so the x-sheet goes to the opposite side (and the tool bar swaps side as well always being opposite of the x-sheet).
We might make them independent of each other in one of the next alpha releases.April 20, 2022 at 8:03 am #4653
Oh, sweet, I didn’t notice that there. Thank you! The toggle feature is great love that!
I think it’s a good idea to add features that will optimize the workflow just for the drawing alone. Not everyone, myself included has good draftsmanship lol. For example, shift key + click to create a point to point line, and maybe a circle marque tool to make the wheels of a car perfectly round. The grid feature is great but if we could manipulate it a bit for backgrounds and or add an easy perspective grid type thing, even enough so we can create a spherical effect like a fisheye lens would be wicked. Helps us out a bit on the drawing front.April 20, 2022 at 9:33 am #4655
Cool! Thanks for your suggestions, Leon!
The Shift thing for doing lines is already on our todo-list. Having more control over the grids and even making them 3D in some way for perspective and spherical effects, would be great. Noted!
NielsApril 22, 2022 at 8:47 pm #4672
There is however something super weird to mention though. Normally I use a Wacom M106K tablet but I recently bought a KD200 Huion Tablet and for some reason, it doesn’t work properly with animation paper. There was a lag when drawing.
I switched back to the Wacom, the lag was gone. When I switched back to the Huion again, the lag was back. I Found that weird because the Huion does work normally with all the other drawing programs I use. Has anyone else had this issue?April 22, 2022 at 9:17 pm #4675
Oh, that’s valuable information! Thanks Leon!
Are you on PC? What Windows version?April 22, 2022 at 11:00 pm #4678
Yes, I am on PC and using windows 10.
Also just discovered something that I dont think Im understanding lol. On the x sheet theres a lil cursor icon and below that theres like a window and I just found I can draw on that window. I can even switch between the brush and the pencil. Uhhhhmmm….I dont know what its for. Can you tell me please.
Oh, also when I imported an image into Animation Paper, its just a drawing I did of Yosimiti sam, jpeg, its greywed in the xsheet. Can we do anything with imported images cut and past or copy onto another layer?
I aslo found that after attempting to draw on Yosimiti image and realizing I couldnt, when I went back to a normal layer I wasnt able to draw I had to select the pencil again. I think maybe for smoother transition that should happen automatically if I have reselected a layer that I drew on previously.April 22, 2022 at 11:52 pm #4680
OK, great, Win10, got it 🙂
1) I think you might be talking about the area in the x-sheet that’s called “annotations”. In there you can scribble notes, draw charts or arcs or arrows or whatever. Also plan dialogue by writing out phonemes or letters. Mark key drawings and breakdowns, etc, etc… Just notes, like they did in the old analogue days too.
2) When you import an image or a sequence of images (video or animation), it automatically comes in as a reference layer. You can not draw on it or copy it to a normal layer. The only thing you can is copy/paste reference frames around, drag out clones, etc – everything regarding timing. What you import is bitmap (aka raster) images. You can draw “on top” a reference layer, by just adding a normal layer on top and draw there. When you draw inside AP you are able to rotate and not least scale your drawings or parts of drawings without loosing any information or getting any degradation or blurring.
3) Normally you would be back in draw mode when you get on to a normal layer – you might have been in some mode or had some tool selected since it didn’t happen for you. Or it could be a bug. Please keep and eye on this behaviour if it happens again. Thank you!September 18, 2022 at 6:31 am #4992David RhodenParticipant
New user and forum member here. Leon Webb, who started the thread had a few of the same questions I did. Since it’s been a while, I’ll re-ask rather than starting a new thread that covers the same questions.
1. “Preferences” in the menu is grayed out. Is this still because the program is in alpha, and there are no preferences to change?
2. On the x-sheet theres a gray area where I can sort of scribble. Are you saying that area is intended for notes and such (like phonemes for lip sync)? I was going to make a whole layer for that but I won’t if that’s what the gray area is for.
Leon, I hope this isn’t hijacking your questions, I just thought they were excellent–what I wanted to know.September 18, 2022 at 8:00 am #4993David RhodenParticipant
Oh, one more.
3. I pulled in a small reference image on a layer but it is expanding to fill the whole frame. Is there a way to resize it?September 18, 2022 at 9:42 am #4994
Thanks for your questions. Here’s my answers…
1. Yes, we are trying to not have a lot of preference settings. So far it has made more sense to have any settings in the menu or directly in the interface if it doesn’t complicate the UI. Actually, in the latest version we have removed the preferences menu item completely. It might come back later if needed though.
2. You guessed it 🙂 This area is for scribbling notes, do charts and not least plan dialogue with phonemes, drawn mouth shapes etc.
3. Yeah, right now it is just filling the frame regardless of how big/small the imported image is. We will implement a way to adjust imported images easily. For now I suggest, you just add more space around your image before importing – then your reference drawing/image will show up smaller.
Let me know if you have further comments or questions!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.