• May 11, 2020 at 12:46 am #2805
    Bryan StoneBryan Stone
    Participant

Will there be a way to add a separate reference image not in the x-sheet so we can open and close it when needed?

I know you folks are still developing but I find myself searching for items and commands. I don’t want to try and memorize things because of the alpha state, but when a smoother version is released some sort of quick reference guide will be a great help.

Since my animation skills have dimmed due to neglect on my part, I’m diving back into my Richard Williams Animators Survival Kit manual and videos with a renewed fervor. More videos for this wonderful program will be a plus.

May 11, 2020 at 8:18 am #2808
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Bryan – Yes, we will do guides and a reference sheet for the final version. Also the videos are to be considered “alpha”, so we will do new ones for the final release as well.

I’m not sure I understand you correctly when you talk about “reference image not in the x-sheet” – please let me know, if your point was something else. 🙂

May 13, 2020 at 6:09 am #2839
    Bryan StoneBryan Stone
    Participant

My wording was wrong. The only way I can see importing a reference image would be to place it on it’s own layer just like a background, then turn visibility on and off when needed.

Sorry if that seemed a bit confusing.

Looking forwards to the next release.

May 13, 2020 at 9:10 am #2842
    Keymaster

Bryan, OK thanks for clearing that up. 🙂 But still I’m a bit confused 🙂 Sorry. 🙂 Did you try importing an image (a png file – also works with a sequence of png’s)? They show up as a reference layer. And you can turn it on/off with the eye-icon.

You probably did this and now you are asking if there’s a way to have this image separate – not as a layer in the x-sheet? There’s not a feature that does that now. But of course we could make that. But then I need to understand, why you don’t think it works having it as a layer in the x-sheet? Just want to learn, so I can make Animation Paper as good as possible and still keep it simple and uncluttered.

May 22, 2020 at 5:45 am #2888
    Bryan StoneBryan Stone
    Participant

Yes, something not in the X-sheet but moveable. I don’t want to import an image not going to be in the animation so for me the x-sheet layer is out.

I’m going to go out on a limb and reference Artrage 6. They have something like that where you can pin reference images around your work area. I understand keeping the area uncluttered though. Even though I can use two monitors, I find it a strain to have to keep glancing between them, but that might just be me.

May 22, 2020 at 12:13 pm #2890
    Keymaster

OK, I think I get it. Maybe the main issue for you is that you need to be able to easily move your reference image around? Maybe within the Animation Paper window and/or even as a separate window so it can be positioned next to the AP window or on a second monitor? Do you use the reference to just look at when drawing or do you need to trace directly over it? (both maybe?). This is interesting. Please let me know more. 🙂

May 25, 2020 at 10:37 am #2900
    Antonino ManganoAntonino Mangano
    Participant

Hi, I am also interested in the possibility to move freely reference images to the work space and the possibility to modify them if is needed, that would be very useful.

May 25, 2020 at 11:03 am #2903
    Keymaster

Thanks Antonino. Noted.

May 26, 2020 at 1:57 am #2905
    Bryan StoneBryan Stone
    Participant

Actually, I only trace to get a feel of a subject’s features. Otherwise I use the reference for help keeping on model, which I have a difficult time doing, and helps me with perspectives, clothing reference, etc.

Having a ref image directly in the x-sheet is slightly distracting, and once things start getting added it might get smothered beneath the actual work.

May 26, 2020 at 6:44 am #2907
    Keymaster

OK, I see. Thanks a lot for explaining, Bryan!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.