• December 5, 2021 at 6:47 pm #4140
    Catarina NorbertoCatarina Norberto
    Participant

Great software!! I would love to try some logo animation with this software but it’s very hard because most tools are free hand. It would be amazing to be able to draw straight lines and have simple shapes like a square / circle available!

December 5, 2021 at 7:41 pm #4141
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Catarina!

Straight lines are on our todo-list and will be implemented very soon.

Square and circle tool – I am not so sure about. You see, I am trying to keep AP as simple and uncluttered as possible – very “analogue” in feel. I am reluctant of tools, that increases the amount of “technicalness” if they can be avoided.

If you are doing animation that needs super tight geometric shapes, I’m thinking this could be done using reference images, either as a sequence of 3D renders/wireframes or simply one image of squares and circles – reference that you trace. I know you could probably say, come on, it’s just a simple square or circle tool, and they are simple and easy to implement, but still, I hope you see my point. Maybe you can appreciate why this exactly is one of the most challenging things of making Animation Paper – keeping it focused.

Cheers,
    Niels

December 6, 2021 at 10:00 pm #4146
    Catarina NorbertoCatarina Norberto
    Participant

I completely understand, and if you do implement straight lines that should be enough do draw  geometric shapes ! Again, congrats on AP, it’s looking great!

Cheers,

Katy

December 7, 2021 at 6:39 am #4147
    Keymaster

Cool – thanks for understanding.

April 28, 2022 at 8:05 pm #4694
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

I know it’s an old thread but I’d appreciate a toolset workflow like in Sketchbook pro, they probably have the best ellipse and curve tools. Only because my tablets accuracy doesn’t work well with my own ellipse guides and rulers, has too much of an offset (despite calibrating, I suppose it’s not as accurate as a wacom).

I don’t think that system would get in the way too much but I understand being hesitant. Maybe down the line after the brush system is created.

April 28, 2022 at 11:02 pm #4695
    Keymaster

Sure. We’ll see what needs to go into AP first and what will make sense in the longer run. Thanks Sam.

April 29, 2022 at 7:37 pm #4700
    Sam WSam W
    Participant

No worries, I really like the minimalism of AP right now and would really hate to lose it even for an ellipse and ruler tool.

April 29, 2022 at 9:09 pm #4701
    Keymaster

Exactly. But we also have to have the tools we really need, so it’s a matter of prioritising and integrating it right so it feels natural, keep everything simple and uncluttered and not take away any focus.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.