• April 24, 2020 at 9:48 pm #2610
    Dave NielsenDave Nielsen
    Participant

Fantastic program, Niels. Really love the alpha so far. It’s very fast, simple and useful.

Got a few ideas, and I’ll drop them in different topics.

How about springloading the tools? What I mean by this is some apps, including Photoshop, allow you to hold down a key to access another tool only until you lift that key up, then the program immediately springs back to whatever other tool you were using. In Photoshop, if you hold the ‘e’ key and draw, you get an eraser until you lift up, however If you just tap the ‘e” key it does a traditional tool switch.

You end up with fewer keypresses this way.

April 24, 2020 at 9:59 pm #2612
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Actually this springloading is all over the place in Animation Paper already!

Hold Space, Hold Alt and Ctrl (or Cmd on Mac). Hold E to get to eraser settings. Hold D for draw settings. Hold S for the Speed Dial, hold H, R or Z for Hand tool, Rotate or Zoom to name what springs to mind.

Did you know about these?

April 24, 2020 at 10:00 pm #2613
    Keymaster

Oh, yeah, and this special one: Hold Return (aka Enter) for Return Flip! 🙂

April 24, 2020 at 10:08 pm #2614
    Dave NielsenDave Nielsen
    Participant

Cool! I see you’re using this kind of function, and Return Flip is one of my favorite things in the app.

Specifically I’d like to see one that springs me between the eraser and drawing. Could the Toggle you already have do it?

April 25, 2020 at 6:47 am #2624
    craig baxtercraig baxter
    Participant

If you press the . key on the keyboard that will toggle between drawing and eraser.
    I use it all the time.Very handy

April 25, 2020 at 9:37 am #2626
    Keymaster

Exactly. Thanks Craig. 🙂

April 25, 2020 at 5:12 pm #2633
    Dave NielsenDave Nielsen
    Participant

Thanks guys. I understand this, but I want it to pop back when I let go of the button.

Otherwise I’m moving my hand setup from the left where everything else is, and have to return to the “.” on the opposite side every time I want to toggle which makes it less practical than just switching with the buttons on the left.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Dave Nielsen.
    April 25, 2020 at 5:23 pm #2637
    Dave NielsenDave Nielsen
    Participant

Mostly what I’m trying to say though is I’d like erase to behave more as an exception that I hold a button for and it expects me to pop back to my current tool rather than a tool I hang out on. Maybe I’m an edge case on this, but it’s one of those things that maximizes speed of use which seems to be what the app is doing elsewhere.

I recognize if it always does the springloaded return, it can be less intuitive for new people, but my argument goes if something as ubiquitously accepted as Photoshop can get away with this conditional logic (a long press is springloaded, vs a tap is a tool switch), then Animation Paper could too.

Your call, naturally!

April 25, 2020 at 10:00 pm #2649
    Keymaster

I totally follow you Dave. We need this. I do think the functionality we already have for holding E (and holding D) is good and fits Animation Paper as it is. But we could do this temporary change to an eraser using another key instead.

Actually, the three erasers and the three drawing tools are on keys 1,2,3,4,5,6. We could make them work as you say. So hitting, say 2, changes the tool to rubber eraser. But holding 2 changes it temporarily to rubber eraser and springs back to the tool you had before when you release the 2 key. All 1 – 6 could work perfectly this way.

What do you think about that?

April 25, 2020 at 10:21 pm #2653
    Dave NielsenDave Nielsen
    Participant

Yes, this would answer my request 100%!

I do also like how you’re springloading the settings with E and D. Haven’t seen that before, and it’s nice how it pops up right under the cursor.

April 25, 2020 at 10:27 pm #2655
    Keymaster

Cool 🙂 Thanks. On our todo!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.