• May 17, 2021 at 9:07 pm #3636
    JZSJZS
    Participant

So, I decided to use this for a project I have to make

however I cannot draw well, I have to do something quickly, and I have never done animation (computer or paper). So I am a beginner. However I am a fan of anything graphic and can use well a lot of adobe programmes but wanted something simple and free to start with.

Tutorial was OK but

-I think he missed a few things at the beginning, explaining the menus and more complicated features:
    what is Xsheet, what are the options, the lightbulb which is confusing to use, deleting between paper or layer or drawing also confusing, background and transparency,  etc

– several times I had to play again and again to see what he was doing, some things were not clear such as New Layer  press N, adding a drawing (press +) etc.
    these should be clearly indicated (shortcut on video like he did later on, + video clearer)

– that you can import a drawing which is important (I saw that in the menu so tried it myself), so I can draw on it to trace it in a new layer.  Would be even better if the drawing or lines could be detected. Also to be able to select, cut, lasso etc from the image imported.

– I think that when drawing on computer, if you don’t have the right tools (pen or tablet) your lines can be rough so would be nice to be able to smoothen the lines….

– is there some guide/ manual somewhere to refer to? as some things he didn’t explain and can’t seem to find how to work (in Menu: paint, etc) or maybe aren’t even active?

– drawing tools and options are quite basic, maybe could have some more options and with more tuning

– the grid could get smaller or larger (all the types)

– I don’t see the use of the speed dial, and it is flimsy. I think the toolbox is better, could be better if you could “park” it anywhere on the page, however it should be clearer (darker) as difficult to see when on and off

– A history panel would be great, so you could delete without pressing undo or going to menu

– some basic things were not mentioned like the final stage: how to save, what medium, for what etc. and so how to export the animation and to include it in other programmes or by itself. Which is very important!

Hope that helps,

PS: and I didn’t know where (which topic or category) to post this, so I kind of posted it in several sections
    Also editing post several times doesn’t seem to be possible…

Thanks, J

May 17, 2021 at 10:40 pm #3637
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi JZS, thanks a lot for this list of yours. Appreciated. Editing a post several times should certainly be possible. It actually looks like you even did it yourself? Anyway, to your points… 🙂

Most of what you are saying I am already fully aware of. Much is on our todolist already.

As you probably know Animation Paper is in alpha, which means it is under development and is not a finished product. As you mention, stuff like all the paint features are not done yet and the menu items are therefore disabled (we decided to have them present, but greyed out, so people could see what is coming).

The tutorial videos are made for the alpha versions specifically. Only a few videos, meant as a brief overview. We will do completely new ones (more in-depth) before we are ready to release the final version.

In general we will rely on our audience having at least a basic knowledge about animation already (like common technical terms etc). You see, it is a balance. We don’t want to bore people who are actual animators. Animation Paper is a pro tool, that we hope is so natural and easy to use that even beginners can use it. But I do get what you are saying, and of course having videos that will help everyone would be great – so the solution, I think, will be that we generally require a certain basic knowledge – but then do some special tutorials for complete beginners, and maybe some for people coming from other software, like Photoshop or TVPaint or something – and then again, we could do special tutorials for advanced professionals wanting to quickly get to some specific detail on how to utilise a certain advanced feature. I think that would make sense.

About the Speed Dial. If you try to invoke it from the menu, it doesn’t make sense I agree. It is made to be activated using the shortcut key (holding S). Then it works – then it is a super fast and efficient way of activating your tools.

Your points are noted. Thanks a lot for taking time doing this. Let me know if you have further comments or questions! Thanks again.

Best,
    Niels

May 18, 2021 at 1:44 am #3645
    JZSJZS
    Participant

thanks Niels

Just something about me, I get into something then I really get into it,

meaning that I am just discovering animation but i can see myself learning more and getting a higher level soon as I have done with other programmes. As I said am proficient in Photoshop, illustrator, Indesign etc. and it is something that was lacking

So it is nice to be able to do that and test it for you, you can have the beginner’s point of view and soon maybe a better level.

I think it is nice to have a programme open to all, not only level, but interest and abilities this is why it would be interesting to be able to do things with imported files such as jpeg, png etc. and to be able to smoothen lines etc. as mentioned above. I wish I could draw better though and your software could help and make it easier and accessible to all.

Am old school , so I like the fact that you use paper animation jargon and it also looks very genuine. So to have the basics explained and all the tools there could feel like being in a workshop.
    Another way for you would be to “label” on mouseover for quick explanation.

but am glad I can help, looking forward to learn much more.

thanks

J

May 18, 2021 at 8:40 am #3647
    Keymaster

Sounds awesome J. Thanks again.

Actually we do already have “tool tips” when you hold your cursor on top of buttons and stuff.

Also we already have a quite clever and subtle stabiliser on the line when drawing. But if you only use your mouse it will not help as much as you might like, because it is tuned to a stylus/pen. It does work even on a mouse though. 🙂

Anyway… 🙂

May 18, 2021 at 2:58 pm #3651
    JZSJZS
    Participant

yes I use a mouse.

I have been wanting to get a pen/ tablet for ages but the market changes too quickly, cannot catch up
    One that I could use for Adobe Programmes too ? What kind of pen and/or tablet are you using? good value for money and good with Mac, Wacom are too expensive 🙁

PS still would be good to be able to smoothen the lines after you have drawn them 😉

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by .
    May 19, 2021 at 10:34 pm #3653
    Keymaster

Yes, Wacoms are high quality, but, I agree, expensive. I have used Wacoms since forever 😉 The Huions seem to be a good, less expensive, alternative though. Haven’t used one my self, but I know quite a few that has and they seem happy. 🙂

As long as it has pressure sensitivity you should be fine with what ever you choose for the budget you have.

May 20, 2021 at 8:43 pm #3654
    JZSJZS
    Participant

Hi

I find that I cannot use it with the mouse, tracing or drawing, lines are not smooth enough unfortunately

so or I need a stylus pen or there should be a much more powerful line smoother

We’ll see what happens first…

thanks

May 20, 2021 at 10:02 pm #3655
    Keymaster

To be perfectly honest, it is not a big deal to implement a simple algorithm that would smooth your mouse made lines. It will, however,  not be a satisfactory result no matter what we do. Drawing with a mouse is just not a good idea, unless you are just testing stuff or doing an extremely rough stick figure type animation. Our aim is to enable people to create high quality animation – so for serious use you just have to have proper drawing hardware. I highly recommend it.

We have plenty of important things still to do with Animation Paper, like the whole area of coloring, so I am afraid we will not be prioritising mouse smoothing. I hope you understand.

To maybe solve your problem, you should check out external smoothing softwares, that works as an extension of many drawing programs, including Animation Paper. Maybe others can suggest a good one?

Best,
    Niels

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.