Apple Pencil (1st Generation)

Astropad (Standard)
    Ver. 3.4.0
    *Used a wire connection

Animation Paper File setup
    Canvas Size: 2732 x 2048
    FPS 12
    on Twos

Disclaimer: I didn’t get a chance to test out the first alpha, due to being discouraged that it didn’t work upon attempting to download the app on my main desktop computer. However at some point after being sent Alpha 2, I downloaded it in my laptop and it works as far as I am aware of. Although my iPad is capable of running the Sidecar, both my computer and laptop don’t, so I’ll be using Astropad instead. For the purpose of feedback I’ll be basing my testing from the tutorial videos and be using the Apple Pencil whenever possible.

Animation Paper
    -When doing small curves quickly, it breaks the line. Drawing slowly will give you the intended results. Personally it is not a deal breaker for me as the only time you would do it that quickly would be during a shading process.
    -Delete Layer (cmd-shift-del) not working despite the other command combinations working.
    -Rubber Eraser doesn’t look any different than the Vinyl Eraser despite the tutorial video stating it should give a soft edge. Even zooming in I didn’t see any noticeable difference. Could be due the Astropad’s pen pressure.
    -On the view tools with the Apple pencil:
    -The Pan works fine
    -Zoom tool sometimes work, like around 80% as it is kind of fidgety in various strokes
    -Rotate works fine, but I am not entirely sure without knowing the pivot point to know if I am rotating based on the Apple Pencil’s point of origin.
    -Comment on the Light Table intensity adjustment: I would like a more in-depth information for this to know the difference in regards to using Setting A & B, as I find myself using setting B for the in-betweens.
    -For Speed dial it works after I tapped it with my Apple Pencil. I would imagine it would work extremely well with the Apple Pencil 2’s tap function once you’re able to map it.
    -Clone drawing by dragging with Apple Pencil works.

Astropad
    -The pen pressure works well by my standards as it does like you would with a Wacom tablet. Unless there is a proper pen pressure testing processing that I should be doing for more accurate results, at the very least it is passible in a casual setting.
    -Using the Brush size functionally works, but I do not know how much it increases incrementally, but you can easily tell by the size change of the cursor at least.
    -Initially I had assumed that using Astropad’s toolbar wouldn’t work correctly with Animation Paper (My “undo” in Astropad’s toolbar is cmd-alt-Z, which activates the peg off function instead). I reset my Astropad’s toolbar to default and it work as intended with Animation Paper’s tools, least with Astropad’s default tools setting. I imagine that Astropad’s tool preference can be setup to work with Animation Paper’s keyboard shortcut, but I didn’t test further so it is possible that the function would work to some various degree
    -Zoom and pan by finger touch does not work, but that is already expected
    -Due to Astropad’s screen setting. It is likely there will be some issue with the drawing size with my iPad relative to Animation Paper’s canvas
    -Despite using a wire connection to get the best response possible, the Apple pencil’s latency response for the Animation Paper is kinda slow. This is a case by case basis however as it is not at a point for the drawing to lag far behind.

Personal Thoughts
    – I often find myself using a different keyboard shortcuts due to my habit with other programs, but that is a minor issue since the keyboard shortcut preference will be implemented at some point anyway.
    -Finally there is a program that uses the X-sheet format! Can’t wait to use along with my homemade X-sheet excel file for my animation process. Though I am a bit concerned about other people knowing how to use an X-sheet, however this assumes someone didn’t read the Animator Survival Kit (particularly on page 70-77) which they should have read it anyway.
    -Overall the Animation Paper works well with the Astropad.

Really appreciate the work.

May 20, 2020 at 8:43 am #2878
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Acel! Thanks for this extensive feedback. Appreciated!

I’ll answer your questions/comments one by one below…

Animation Paper
    -When doing small curves quickly, it breaks the line. Drawing slowly will give you the intended results. Personally it is not a deal breaker for me as the only time you would do it that quickly would be during a shading process.

That’s odd. Not supposed to happen. Maybe try running with a lower resolution and see if that helps? If you need the high resolution for your output, you can always change it to the higher res before you export (your drawings will update to be fully crisp, without any loss og degradation).

-Delete Layer (cmd-shift-del) not working despite the other command combinations working.

Weird. Maybe something else (other software, like Astropad?) is blocking this key combination? It works just fine in all our test environments.

-Rubber Eraser doesn’t look any different than the Vinyl Eraser despite the tutorial video stating it should give a soft edge. Even zooming in I didn’t see any noticeable difference. Could be due the Astropad’s pen pressure.

You are right, it is VERY subtle. You need to basically regard the Rubber Eraser as the thin version of the bold Vinyl Eraser.

-On the view tools with the Apple pencil: -The Pan works fine -Zoom tool sometimes work, like around 80% as it is kind of fidgety in various strokes -Rotate works fine, but I am not entirely sure without knowing the pivot point to know if I am rotating based on the Apple Pencil’s point of origin.

Could the 20% not working be because you are dragging diagonally bottom/left to top/right? The zoom reacts to up/down or left/right. Doing “both” will cancel it out.

When you rotate it is always rotating around the center of the view.

-Comment on the Light Table intensity adjustment: I would like a more in-depth information for this to know the difference in regards to using Setting A & B, as I find myself using setting B for the in-betweens.

A and B is just like two different presets. Often it is nice to have two different settings (like for rough and for clean up purposes or something else). This way you can keep two different settings and easily switch between the two.

-For Speed dial it works after I tapped it with my Apple Pencil. I would imagine it would work extremely well with the Apple Pencil 2’s tap function once you’re able to map it.

Cool.

-Clone drawing by dragging with Apple Pencil works.

Nice.

– Astropad

Thanks for all your remarks. Good to know. As for the zooming/rotating using touch/gestures. This has not been implemented yet – will come soon.

– Personal Thoughts
    Thanks a lot! Glad you like the proper traditional X-Sheet way of doing it. 😉

Best,
    Niels

May 20, 2020 at 8:34 pm #2880
    AcelAcel
    Participant

>Maybe try running with a lower resolution and see if that helps?
    – I went back and set the resolution to the “small” preset 512 x 384 and the lines still break, though how often is a separate matter.

>Maybe something else (other software, like Astropad?) is blocking this key combination [Delete Layer, (cmd-shift-del)]?
    – No that isn’t the case as I tested the key combination before using Astropad. I checked again today and it still didn’t work, but stuff like the delete drawing (cmd-del) and clear drawing (shift-8) works fine, so it is that particular combination that isn’t working. It is likely due to the keyboard layout since I am using a laptop instead of a typical keyboard.

>You are right, it is VERY subtle. You need to basically regard the Rubber Eraser as the thin version of the bold Vinyl Eraser.
    -That is kind of disappointing.

>Could the 20% not working be because you are dragging diagonally bottom/left to top/right?
    -After doing various strokes with the Apple Pencil in the direction you stated: Doing this in long and short strokes is rather slow compared the other directions. When doing the opposite direction (from top/right to bottom left) that is when it got fidgety.

>When you rotate it is always rotating around the center of the view.
    -Ah I see.

>A and B is just like two different presets. Often it is nice to have two different settings (like for rough and for clean up purposes or something else). This way you can keep two different settings and easily switch between the two.
    -Always great to have options

I did a couple of testing with Astropad’s toolbar preferences and this is the following results when you set the shortcuts in Astropad:
    Setting the individual keys, like “O”, “K”, “N” “spacebar” works like you had expected
    When using the view tools “Pan”, “Rotate”, and “Zoom” you hold that button and use the pencil
    If there are any keyboard commands that involved “shift” and/or “Cmd” they will always be a “Play” command regardless
    So in conclusion you can set any keyboard shortcut as long as they do not have “shift” or “Cmd” in Astropad’s toolbar.

Thank you for the clarifications.

May 20, 2020 at 9:38 pm #2882
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

OK, thanks a lot for letting me know! Noted.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags