• December 20, 2022 at 5:57 pm #5217
    loki hornsbyloki hornsby
    Participant

Hi! i’m just wondering – when the final version of this software is released – will the previous alpha release be free forever or only for a limited time?

December 20, 2022 at 6:38 pm #5218
    loki hornsbyloki hornsby
    Participant

Oh, Additionally do you plan to have discounts for this software in the future? Even if the software is free forever i would still like to buy it if i have continued to use it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by loki hornsby. Reason: Mispelling
    December 20, 2022 at 6:45 pm #5220
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Loki,

Thanks for asking 😉

All pre-releases (all alpha and beta releases) will always be free. When we do release the finished version, however, after a while the pre-releases will at some point stop working.

You can then chose to download the finished version (Animation Paper v5.0) which will work as a free trial (for 14 days). If you decide to buy a license (our introductory offer will be $79 usd one time fee), you will own this lifetime license – not a subscription – including free point-updates (5.1, 5.2, etc).

Do you think this is all fair?

Best,
    Niels

December 20, 2022 at 7:41 pm #5225
    loki hornsbyloki hornsby
    Participant

I think considering this is a commercial product $79 is an acceptible price in terms of buisiness (infact i’d say ramp it up to $100 for buisiness liscenses because i know how hard it is to make software – especially software that works haha 😉 )

In terms of personal usage however i think the price is a bit steep. If your an experienced animator i believe this tool (after some polishing) is definetly worth its price. However if your starting out and want to get into animation (like me) i think it’s worth using other software until your confident since $79 is (in my opinion) a very steap price for a beginner.

If you don’t mind me asking have you thought of making a personal edition? Maybe it would include a watermark requirement in the liscense and a quick startup animation showing “made with Animation Paper” at the start of any exported media?
    At the minute i only plan to use this software for its timeline, onion skinning, audio scrubbing, and general drawing (Although i’m not sure if this software includes colour yet…). Maybe you could reduce some features and include an ad to buy the software at startup aswell?

PS: I’d say don’t strip any features at all and just have the watermark and an ad but i’m not sure if that’s realistic 😀

December 20, 2022 at 10:22 pm #5227
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot for your thoughts Loki. I wanted to create a piece of software that made sense in every way. Including having one version for everybody – the complete version. Keeping it simple.

The current alpha version, does not include paint/coloring yet. This will come pretty soon though.

Thanks again Loki. Your opinions have been duly noted.

Best,
    Niels

December 20, 2022 at 11:06 pm #5229
    loki hornsbyloki hornsby
    Participant

Thankyou Niels! – that makes sense to me 🙂
    I look forward to buying your product in due future!

January 18, 2023 at 2:35 am #5326
    Derik HolteDerik Holte
    Participant

Compared to other animation software, $79 is very reasonable.  I love how intuitive it is.  This is honest and straight forward, as in, you get what you put into the project…and I say this as a beginner.  I’m sure it will be even more enjoyable to use upon official release.

January 18, 2023 at 6:55 am #5332
    Keymaster

Thank you very much Derik. Kind words.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.