April 21, 2022 at 10:33 am #4667
Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
Keymaster

Came to think about it – and actually it wouldn’t have to be different. You could just see Esc a “cancel” – back to how it was. That would be the same for both cutter and lasso.

One reason as to why we have made it as it is now, might be because of the legacy of the old PAP. People loved how they could quickly cut a larger area out and just get rid of it. I.E. a way to erase something quickly without using the slower eraser tool. I know you could do that with your suggestion just hitting delete. But it was escape in PAP… Hmmm…

The way it works in AP now, is meant to be like Photoshop and so many other similar paint programs, but with one or two fewer steps in the process. When you draw a lasso in PS, you would then use Ctrl C or Ctrl X to copy or cut your lassoed area. Then you would paste to have access to move it around. If you then press Esc you would lose your selection, but if you used cut, it would still have that cut (blank) area. I don’t have PS in front of me right now, so I’m not entirely sure 😉 Am I mistaking?

Anyway, thanks for giving me stuff to think about! 😉