• May 17, 2021 at 8:54 pm #3634
    JZSJZS
    Participant

So, I decided to use this for a project I have to make

however I cannot draw well, I have to do something quickly, and I have never done animation (computer or paper). So I am a beginner. However I am a fan of anything graphic and can use well a lot of adobe programmes but wanted something simple and free to start with.

Tutorial was OK but

-I think he missed a few things at the beginning, explaining the menus and more complicated features:
    what is Xsheet, what are the options, the lightbulb which is confusing to use, deleting between paper or layer or drawing also confusing, background and transparency,  etc

– several times I had to play again and again to see what he was doing, some things were not clear such as New Layer  press N, adding a drawing (press +) etc.
    these should be clearly indicated (shortcut on video like he did later on, + video clearer)

– that you can import a drawing which is important (I saw that in the menu so tried it myself), so I can draw on it to “copy” it in a new layer.  Would be even better if the drawing or lines could be detected.

– I think that when drawing on computer, if you don’t have the right tools (pen or tablet) your lines can be rough so would be nice to be able to smoothen the lines….

– is there some guide/ manual somewhere to refer to? as some things he didn’t explain and can’t seem to find how to work (in Menu: paint, etc) or maybe aren’t even active?

– drawing tools and options are quite basic, maybe could have some more options and with more tuning

– the grid could get smaller or larger (all the types)

– I don’t see the use of the speed dial, and it is flimsy. I think the toolbox is better, could be better if you could “park” it anywhere on the page, however it should be clearer (darker) as difficult to see when on and off

– A history panel would be great, so you could delete without pressing undo or going to menu

– some basic things were not mentioned like the final stage: how to save, what medium, for what etc. and so how to export the animation and to include it in other programmes or by itself. Which is very important!

Hope that helps, PS: and I didn’t know where (which topic or category) to post this

Thanks, J

May 17, 2021 at 10:56 pm #3641
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi J, please see my answer in your latest post thread.

May 18, 2021 at 2:52 pm #3649
    JZSJZS
    Participant

feel free to delete the extra ones 😉

June 13, 2021 at 11:47 pm #3689
    Ashley KnightAshley Knight
    Participant

Hi Niels,

Can you please lead me to the answers to JZS’s questions above? Especially interested in how to export the resulting animation to a website.

Thanks in advance

Ashley

June 14, 2021 at 9:26 pm #3692
    Niels Krogh MortensenNiels
    Keymaster

Hi Ashley,

I found the comments and conversation here: https://animationpaper.com/forums/topic/suggestions-and-impressions/

But the thing you are interested in doesn’t seem to be covered. So I’ll answer you here:

You need to export your animation and make it into a mp4 file. In Alpha 3 you will have to export as a stack of png images and use other software to convert them to mp4. An efficient and free way of doing that is by using FFMPEG. But it is a bit technical.

Another way is to wait just a few days/weeks for our next release (Alpha 4) – which has build in export of mp4 (and mov/prores).

mp4 is compatible with browsers, so you can show it directly on a website – but of course it also depends on how the website is setup and if you as a user have the necessary access. But that is beyond me 😉 If you want to upload to youtube or elsewhere, mp4 is very well suited for that too.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best,
    Niels

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.